You would be shocked how many brides have asked me if they should try a new hair color or get a deep cleansing facial a week before their wedding (Miller, you’re at the top of that list). What do you think my answer is? It’s always the same — “Are you fucking kidding me?” Ladies, seriously. We’re talking about your wedding day here. Do you really want to open up Pandora’s Box full of possible disasters?? Not on my watch.
Here’s the list of things you best not be doing within a week of your big day:
1. Getting a facial with extractions. I don’t care if it’s a deep-cleansing facial, anti-aging facial or even a sensitive skin facial. DO NOT GET EXTRACTIONS. NOTHING GOOD WILL COME OF IT. You’re risking a red splotchy face, pimples being coaxed to the surface, and possible scarring.
2. Getting any sort of acid peel or microdermabrasion. If you have really oily skin and you’ve done peels an/or microdermabrasion in the past then do them at least 3 weeks before the big day. If you have normal skin, STAY AWAY FROM THE AGGRESSIVE EXFOLIANTS! If you are getting a facial in a spa, ask the aesthetician if she has any fruit enzyme peels. If you’re giving yourself an at-home facial, try a gentle enzyme peel like AMOREPACIFIC ‘Treatment’ Enzyme Peel ($60) which gives your skin a brighter, more radiant texture without risking looking like you got caught in a chemical fire.
3. Start using a new retinol, alpha / beta hydroxy, or salicylic-based product. Unless you want to risk your skin peeling off in layers like a leper on your big day, avoid any aggressive new skincare products, especially ones that contain retinol, alpha / beta hydroxy acids, or salicylic acids. Think soothing products for the week prior. Slather your face in nourishing oil like Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil ($48) which is rich in Vitamin C and essential fatty acids, giving you a brighter, smoother complexion without the risk. Seal in the moisture at night with a sleeping mask like Korres Greek Yoghurt Advanced Nourishing Sleeping Mask ($45) , which happens to be one of my most favorite skincare items of all time. It instantly cools upon application so if you’re an idiot and you get too much sun, this is the perfect mask to slather on to take down the redness and irritation. I personally use it every night to soothe my bitchy skin and seal in moisture.
4. Change your hair color and/or switch colorists. Seriously? Do I really have to spell out why this is a bad idea? Girl, you should have thought of this a couple months ago. It’s too late now. You are risking the whole rainbow of bad outcomes by dabbling in a different hair color a week before your wedding.
5. Get your first Keratin Treatment or go to a new stylist. Again, the risk is not worth the reward. You could end up looking like Mommy Dearest took scissors to your hair. I’ve seen some badly singed, fried hair as a result of this straightening treatment. So buyers beware. And don’t forget all the experts say the best thing you can do is wear your hair in its natural texture on your wedding day to minimize the risk of frizzes.
6. Get a spray tan or try a new sunless tanner. Okay, this should be another no-brainer. But if you insist on having a little color for your wedding day you need to start testing spray tans and sunless tanners months before your wedding so you can pinpoint your exact natural shade. I can’t tell you how many Oompa Loompa brides I’ve seen walk down the aisle. I know I should be looking at her beautiful dress and face, but I can’t stop thinking about how she looks radioactive next to her groom.
So now you have the forbidden list. I don’t want to hear your pleas and tears when you break one of my cardinal rules. Now run along and be good little brides. Don’t forget to look for my final installment of Bridal Skin Care Bootcamp which will take you through your “day of” regimen.Posted by janna Tags Amore Pacific, bridal bootcamp, Bridal skincare, Facial, Korres, Tarte, tarte cosmetics
I know you all think I plop myself down in front of my vanity every morning and spend a good hour putting on my face — using several different concealers to camouflage my puffy eyes, carefully sculpting the perfect winged eye, prepping and painting on the perfect statement lip — ok that’s me on a big night out, but not during the week. I mean come on, I live in crunchy Northern California now so I’ve kind of been forced to embrace the “Fresh Face Look”. The good news? I found that I can actually look surprisingly good after dedicated 5-7 minutes to my makeup routine. And for those of you mommies and worker bees who don’t have more than a few minutes to slap on your makeup in the morning, you are going to love me forever:janna Tags Amore Pacific, Blush, Bronzer, Cle de Peau, Eyelash Extensions, Foundation, Laura Mercier, lipstick, Lipstick Queen, MAC, Mascara, Orlane, Primer, Tarte, Tinted Moisturizer, Votre Vu
Dear AmorePacific Skincare,
I hate to do this intervention with you publicly but there are so many others who are joined with me in voice and spirit on this topic that I feel it’s the only way to truly get your attention. Let me start by saying that your products are beautiful. Your quest to utilize the finest Asian Botanicals and enlist the top scientists and researchers to develop your line has resulted in truly innovative products. I mean come on, you hold over 140 global patents in green tea and skin related technology! Your AMOREPACIFIC ‘Time Response Skin Renewal’ Foundation SPF 18 ($90) beats out every Foundation, BB Cream, and Tinted Moisturizer I’ve ever tried. It calms and soothes my bitchy drama queen skin and hides all the redness and imperfections that her temper tantrums leave behind.
Read the rest of this entry »
I’ve got some good news, my lovelies… I can now bestow my beauty knowledge and bitchiness through your speakers! Oh yes! Webtalk Radio gave me a weekly show which you can easily find on iTunes or stream it through your internet browser. So forget listening to the same crappy music at the gym or in your car and listen to me!
Download My Beauty Binge podcasts for free via iTunes
Every week I will write an accompanying blog post so you don’t have to write down any of the products or links we mention in the show. And of course I will post any pictures we discuss! So enjoy and let me know what you think!
Show: Why Does Your Makeup Look Like Sh*t??
Summary: I know it’s a harsh question but trust me you’ll want to hear the answer. Whether you’re using the wrong products or the right products in the wrong way, there may be just a few alterations you need to make to your daily ritual! Join me as I chat with the ultra-talented makeup artist Maria Luxen, founder of Maria’s Make-Up Mayhem. Not only will we help you so that your own makeup doesn’t look like sh*t, we’ll pick on a few celebrities guilty of bad red carpet makeup, showing you that you’re not alone.janna Tags Amore Pacific, Celebrities, MAC, MAC makeup, MAKE UP FOR EVER, Podcast, Tarte, Urban Decay
Fall wedding season has begun and trust me when I say step away from the sex novelty shop (yeah you, Maria; you’re not even shopping for a bride) and drop the Victoria’s Secret catalog, I assure you the new bride would much rather you prep her skin for the big day than receive another slutty cowgirl costume or g-string teddy.
My adorable friend Rachel is getting married (like the movie but this Rachel doesn’t have a promiscuous drug-addicted sister with an ugly dark secret, and I’m pretty sure she’s not having a bohemian experimental jazz wedding) in two short weeks and she knows zero about skincare. Even though she lacks the knowledge, my little lovely still deserves to properly prep her skin for the big day and not have to worry about packing skincare for the honeymoon.
I started out by buying her an adorable hanging waterproof toiletries bag from Toss Designs that I know she can stuff full of items and fold into her suitcase for easy packing. The theme of every item in the kit is “gentle, gentle!!!” because let’s face it, do you really want to be responsible for giving the bride an aggressive skincare product that ends up turning her creamy skin into a red-bumped disaster?? That’s a fun phone call to receive…
Read the rest of this entry »
Betsey Johnson backstage at her show, “Has everyone met Charlie? My favorite makeup artist on earth?”
I remember first seeing celebrity makeup artist Charlie Green on MTV several years ago, with her platinum pixie hair and effervescent attitude she literally sparkled on screen like a Christmas tree caught fire. With over 20 years of painting the faces of celebrities (Angelina Jolie, Charlize Theron, Penelope Cruz), top models for the runways (Betsey Johnson, Victoria’s Secret, Tommy Hilfiger), celebrities and models for major ad campaigns (Cover Girl, Estee Lauder, Revlon) and magazine spreads (Elle, Vogue, Vanity Fair), Charlie is the makeup artist for delivering sexy, feminine looks. She doesn’t stop at applying the cosmetics, she helps companies design them too. She’s worked with tons of beauty brands developing and launching products. You know that sexy shimmering body lotion from Victoria’s Secret that make your legs look like Barbie legs? Yeah, Charlie designed it. In fact, she worked with Victoria’s Secret to design their entire line and then put it to the test on the runways with the likes of Gisele, Naomi, and Adriana.janna Tags Amore Pacific, Charlie Green, Makeup Artist, Mary Kay, Victoria's Secret
I was shocked and awed at the images from the red carpets at the London Snow White and the Huntsman and Los Angeles What to Expect When You’re Expecting premieres. Shock came from the horror show of Jennifer Lopez’s homely hair and eye-closing makeup, and awe hit when I saw the perfection of Kristen Stewart’s metallic smoked eye and the gold chains that were intertwined into her updo.
Read the rest of this entry » Posted by janna Tags Amore Pacific, Nars, Red Carpet Beauty, Sephora, Sephora Collection
I was invited by my CEO to attend a fancy-schmancy awards dinner. This was definitely a first (in fact I thought I had gotten the invitation in error) and I was in panic mode over what to wear. I decided a on a gorgeous little black lace number , matched them with my patent Louboutins, and made an appointment to get my hair blown out.
Maria looked at the dress and said, “So what are you going to do about makeup?” I told her I hadn’t really thought about it. She gave me the look like she just smelled a guy wearing Drakkar. “So let me get this straight… You get invited to a black tie dinner with our CEO and a bunch of senior management and you haven’t given your makeup any thought??” I saw her point.
She generously volunteered her efforts to make me black-tie ready. She used the Amore Pacific Foundation (of course) to make my skin flawless. She literally made my bags disappear with AmazingCosmetics AmazingConcealer in ”Fair”, and then used a little By Terry Touch-Expert to touch up and cover redness around my nose. She bronzed me with Benefit Hoola and put Tarte Cheek Stain in Tickled on the apples of my cheeks.
She used Make Up For Ever Matte Flesh 156 all over my eye area, then used Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow in Champagne, and then used some brown shades from her kit in my crease. She lined my eyes in a cat eye starting with Sephora Collection Kohl Waterproof Eyeliner in Keep Black and then went over it and shaped the tail using Paula Dorf Transformer mixed with MAC Eyeshadow in Carbon with a fine eyelining brush. She then used a highlighter from her own kit to highlight under my brow bone.
Thanks to Maria, my makeup and my confidence lasted all night. I dined with the big boys, held my own, and didn’t bat an eyelash extension all night long.Posted by janna Tags AmazingCosmetics, Amore Pacific, Benefit, Bobbi Brown, By Terry, Clinique, Lipstick Queen, MAC, Makeup For Ever, Tarte
I figure it makes the most sense to share my splurges with you on Sundays since the chances of my husband tearing himself away from football to read this are about as good as La Mer going on sale.
So for my inaugural Sunday Splurge post I am sharing Amore Pacific Time Response Skin Renewal Foundation SPF 18 ($90) because I simply cannot shut up about it. Full disclosure: I’ve never been a huge fan of foundation. I never liked the way it sat on my sensitive skin and I always felt like my pores couldn’t breathe. The only time I’ve really worn foundation is when I’ve gotten my makeup professionally done for a special event.
Last month, when Maria was fervently dotting concealer ALL OVER my red splotches she suddenly stopped and gave out a long sigh, “Janna, I think it’s time you started using foundation on a regular basis.” I wanted to slap her. How dare she? I’ve always gotten compliments on my skin! I mean, yes, in the past five years my skin has gotten more sensitive and prone to redness, but to suggest foundation?? I’m pretty sure I hissed at her. She was undeterred. “Janna, you have a lot of redness and there are tons of brands that are great for sensitive skin.” Whatever.
I wrapped myself in my blankets of denial and forgot about it until I recently got a facial at Amore Pacific in Soho. The esthetician said the same thing to me (I’m pretty sure I hissed at her as well). She explained that their foundation is more like a pigmented skin treatment. It has calming botanicals and antioxidants like Green Tea and has SPF 18. She assured me it wouldn’t clog my pores. I figured the ultimate test (and sacrifice) would be to wear the foundation home after my pores were still open and vulnerable post-facial (Do not try this at home! Never apply makeup after a facial).
Obviously, (given the headline of this post) the foundation did not irritate my skin in the least. Not only did the foundation completely melt into my skin, I have never seen my face look so luminous and air-brushed. I love that you pump the hygenic top once and a single-use amount comes out. After primer, I dot my clean fingers with the foundation and use small strokes to blend it all over my face. I don’t even need a sponge to blend it! It gives such a glow without any feeling of greasiness.
Talk about longevity… I applied it Friday morning at 6 AM in Denver. I was subjected to dry air all morning. Then I raced through an airport and got on a four hour flight back to NYC. I was home at 8 PM and MY SKIN STILL LOOKED FLAWLESS!!!
So for those of you who are like “I just don’t wear that much makeup and I can’t imagine wearing foundation every day,” I assure you this foundation will change your perception forever. It is worth every penny. I personally wear shade #104, but you should either go in person to Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, or Amore Pacific Soho to choose your shade. You can also buy online at Nordstrom.
Leave your husbands shouting at their teams on TV today and go get your Sunday Splurge on!Posted by janna Tags Amore Pacific, Foundation, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, SPF, Sunday Splurge