If there’s one look I’m always striving to perfect it’s the perfect winged eye. Since the early days when my grandma and I would religiously watch every Audrey Hepburn movie, I’ve always wanted to mimic that ultra-sophisticated yet fun and sexy look.
I’ve tried every form of eyeliner — from kohl pencil to liquid to cake. And even though a few makeup remover-soaked q-tips have always been able to save me from an all-out ”I just got back from Fight Club” look, it’s always been a messy, laborious process. That is of course until I discovered NYX The Curve Liner ($14.99)…
This ergonomically shaped liner with a curved grip zone for precise application makes perfecting any liquid liner look as easy as putting on lip gloss. It has a felt tip that dispenses just the right amount of color which comes out dark and pigmented, and does not bleed nor feather! REJOICE!
To create a winged eye it only took me one swipe along my lash line and then I changed my grip (angling it upwards) and drew my wing. Voila! I’m Audrey! (Okay, maybe not… but at least it looked perfect and took me about 30 seconds. I’ll take it!)
Posted by janna Tags Audrey Hepburn, Cat Eye, Eyeliner, Liquid Liner, NYX, Winged Eye
We all know I’m spoiled… I get tons of products sent to me by publicists for consideration. I test them all — hating some, liking others, and coveting a select few. When I say “covet” we’re talking about products that will permanently become part of my personal regimen and be re-bought again and again. People always ask me, “What are your favorite products?” Here’s a good place to start:
1. Kate Somerville ‘Dermal Quench Liquid Lift’ Advanced Wrinkle Treatment ($95): I’m a huge fan of in-spa oxygen facials and this treatment seems to mimic the instant smoothing effects of an oxygen facial and still manages to reduce redness and fine lines over-time. I had two consistent dry patches on my cheeks that were softer after Day 1. It’s also perfect for pre-event regimens since it has temporary wrinkle-relaxing PFC- carriers to relax facial muscles. Read my original review here.janna Tags Anti-Ager, Anti-Redness, Delicious Scents, Eyeliner, Kate Somerville, MAKE UP FOR EVER, Nest Fragrance, Sensitive Skin
Ignore what you’re seeing on the runways… Unless you have Karlie Kloss’s bone structure, the “no makeup” look takes on more of an “Oops! I got all dressed up but I forgot to put on my makeup” look. You just got all those fabulous Fall clothes out of storage and they deserve to be celebrated with some sexy eye makeup. Luckily the top makeup brands didn’t toss all their pigments when they saw the “no makeup” look gain momentum in the February shows, instead they launched their Fall Collections with gorgeous, innovative products to help create the full spectrum of “going out” looks. Leave the “no makeup look” for the model-types and get your binge on:
This blog post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links gives the Beauty Binge blog a commission when you click and purchase something from that link. It’s just like a retail associate who works on a commission basis. When you shop through an affiliate link on Beauty Binge you help support the site!
This blog post contains press samples sent to Beauty Binge by a public relations representative. The Blog and its Author do not provide any guarantee of review, nor whether a review will be positive or negative. The Blog does not accept financial compensation for product reviews.
Posted by janna Tags Eyeliner, Going out eye, MAKE UP FOR EVER, Rimmel, Smashbox, Smokey Eyes, Tarte
Welcome to Week 2 of my thriftathon where I share which beauty products you should be pilfering from the bonanza awaiting you at your local drugstore. This week I’m focusing on the makeup aisle. Come on, does’t it bring back memories of that first time you and your girlfriends shopped in the makeup aisle by yourselves? I was in 6th grade and I was with my very sophisticated friends Meredith and Kim, who were both rocking Madonna floppy lace bows and electric blue eyeliner. I wasn’t supposed to wear makeup yet but come on, like I was going to obey that rule. Incidentally the first item Meredith and Kim introduced me to, Wet n Wild Brow & Eye Pencil, appears as #2 on my list since it is still a staple in my makeup bag.
1. Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter ($7.49): I am not going to beat an empty Sephora bag here… I’ve written about these hydrating, long-lasting gems, dramatically sang their praise in a video, and basically spread the gospel to any woman who would listen that these lipsticks are the cats pajamas. I have them in every color and wear several combinations a day. Enough said.
2. Wet n Wild Brow & Eye Pencil ($.99) Nothing takes you from boring day makeup to sexy going-out makeup faster than a couple swipes of eyeliner, which is why these pigmented pencils have graced the bottom of every handbag I’ve carried since the days of teasing my bangs and wearing thick bubblegum-hued lip gloss. The pencil creates a thin opaque line that can be both smudged and applied on the inner rim. And let’s face it, $.99 for 7 inches (same length as a standard #2 pencil) of good eye pencil ain’t too shabby!
Read the rest of this entry »
My gorgeous friend Jen wrote in on my eyeliner post. Since the first day I met her, Jen has always had impeccable makeup (of course she is one of those girls who doesn’t even need makeup), so obviously I trust her opinion implicitly:
“hey janna, after trying many eyeliners including the Dior my fave is by kat von d. it is her liquid eyeliner pen in trooper. it is way cheaper than the dior and better. the dior would actually cause an allergic reaction on my lid. it is usually sold out of sephora so you are better off ordering it online. love your halloween costume by the way. so sad we missed the party. xx jen”
So ladies, I have no choice but to warn you about the Dior Liquid Eyeliner. If you have sensitive eyes like Jen you may want to skip this product. It’s tough to spot-test with liquid eyeliner. Oviously it’s unsanitary to sample it in-store, and it’s tough to justify spending $33 for a product you may have to throw away. I personally wear contacts and can get itchy eyes, but I did not have a reaction. I love it!
Thanks for the note, Jen. I will definitely give the Kat Von D liner a try!
Photo courtesy of ~WytskePosted by janna Tags Christina Dior, Dior, Eyeliner, Kat Von D
1) SEPHORA COLLECTION Retractable Waterproof Eyeliner ($12): Yes, I know your jaw dropped when you read SEPHORA COLLECTION. Don’t be such a snob. It’s actually a quality line. I heard about this eyeliner from a makeup artist when I complained that every eyeliner leaves a parenthesis on up my upper eyelid. So frustrating! She told me that Sephora’s Waterproof Eyeliner is so “stay put” that you have to blend it quickly or else it won’t budge. Bless her little heart, she was right.
This eyeliner is perfect for the daytime when you need it to last through a day of subway riding, dry office air, staring at a computer for hours, and still look good for after-work cocktails. It also seems to be idiot-proof. At 6:30 AM when I haven’t had any coffee and I’m trying to concentrate on drawing a line close to my lash line… Let’s just say before I started using this eyeliner things tended to go poorly, as in, my lids would be red and swollen from me trying to remove the many attempts. This pencil allows for a quick swipe followed by an effortless smudge into the lash line, and voila! Work ready!
2) Dior Liquid Eyeliner Black ($34): Before I bought this product, it had been a while since I’d trusted myself to apply liquid eyeliner. Even when I’d had my coffee and been awake several hours, I always made a huge mess and, again, I would end up with red swollen eyelids from rubbing off my mistakes. I gave up years ago and started using gel for a kitten or cat eye. The gel didn’t have that slick liquid look, but at least I didn’t look like I got beat up. A couple months ago during a Sephora binge I saw the Dior pen and it seemed like it would be easy to use, so I thought I’d give it a try.
Meow. It’s a fine felt tip pen that draws a perfectly thin line. And bonus — it doesn’t smudge, smear or leave marks on my upper eyelids (as long as I let it dry first, obviously). I’m telling you, even for someone like me who finds it impossible to draw a straight line, I can make myself into a demure kitty.
So to review… SEPHORA COLLECTION Retractable Waterproof Eyeliner for daytime and Dior Liquid Eyeliner Black to create that perfect cat eye for a night out on the town.janna Tags Christian Dior, Dior, Eyeliner, Sephora, Sephora Collection