It astounds me how many women stick to their same skincare regimen during their periods. Hurricane Flo blows into town wreaking havoc on your moods, your body, and of course your skin — but you don’t think to go easy on the skincare? Really? Did you happen to notice your mood isn’t the only thing that’s easily irritated during this special time? SO TAKE IT EASY!
- Replace your aggressive cleansers and exfoliators (especially anything with a physical scrub) with a soothing cream cleanser like Fresh Soy Face Cleanser.
- Unless you have very oily skin, give your Clarisonic a rest and use a damp cotton pad to remove any remaining makeup or grime.
- Skip your usual dose of topical Vitamin C, which can irritate sensitive skin, and instead apply a soothing serum like Jurlique Calendula Redness Rescue Restorative Treatment Serum.
- Avoid moisturizers with active ingredients and replace with soothing hydrators like REN Evercalm Global Protection Day Cream for day and Korres Greek Yoghurt Advanced Nourishing Sleeping Facial for night.
- Put off applying sunless tanner to your face if you’re prone to breakouts or oiliness. Sunless tanners can block pores and you don’t want to take any chances when your body is going through a hormonal roller coaster.
DON’T YOU DARE:
- Apply a toner with alcohol. Instead, opt for a botanical or herbal toner like Kiehl’s Since 1851 Calendula Herbal-Extract Alcohol-Free Toner.
- Pick or pop pimples, blackheads or whiteheads. You are just asking for ugly marks that are going to have an even harder time healing that usual.
- Over treat said pimples with aggressive products. Most pimple medications will just dry your skin out and make your skin even angrier. I always use my TANDA Zap Power a few times a day to blast pimples without dryness or irritation.
- Get a facial. That’s right — it’s the only time (besides the week before your wedding) I will advise you not to get a facial. You think extractions usually hurt? Try getting them on your period. Not only will the prodding and squeezing hurt like hell, but expect those ugly red welts to stick around a lot longer than usual. Even if you wanted to get a facial without extractions, the exfoliation process could put your skin over the edge.
Don’t forget to take Advil or something similar, which will not only help your cramps but will help calm your skin down as well. And, if all else fails — keep a pint of ice cream handy.
Disclosure: I was gifted these products with no editorial obligation.Posted by janna Tags Clarisonic, Fresh, Hormonal Skin, Jurlique, Kiehl's, Korres, REN, Sensitive Skin, Tanda
And on the eighth day, God created the Neiman Marcus Beauty Event…
Sure, other department stores have their share of Gift with Purchase (GwP) bonanzas but none top Neiman Marcus in terms of brands and goodies. Neimans is the granddaddy of them all… Not only does this iconic institution offer a bag stuffed with samples from the likes of premium brands like ReVive, Cle de Peau, and Oribe, but most of the brands offer their own fabulous GwP incentives.
Granted, the spend minimum on some of the GwPs are ridiculously expensive (like you have to spend $650 at ReVive) but then there are some totally attainable goals like spend $150 at Armani Beauty or $100 at NARS.
Take it from me… with all these amazing GwPs it’s a little TOO easy to go a bit crazy and wind up spending the rent money. So take the beauty event in stride, especially if you plan on visiting a Neiman Marcus in person. The bright pretty products and delicious-smelling air can be a quite intoxicating. Though, the brands do offer all kinds of special in-store events like facials and makeovers, which can be fun as long as you don’t lose yourself and buy out the entire counter.
So what should you buy? Here are my top picks:
Cle de Peau Concealer ($70): Um, obviously. Anyone who reads my blog knows I’ve been using this celebrity secret weapon for the past couple years. Now is the time to stock up!
Sisley-Paris Botanical D-Tox ($240): I know it’s a hefty price tag but beauty addicts swear by this detoxifying serum. Supposedly women have seen a total turnaround in terms of visible pores, lines and frequency of breakouts. It’s supposedly safe for sensitive skin so I’m going to give it a try.
Sulwhasoo Overnight Vitalizing Mask ($50): I’m a whore for overnight masks as it is since skin repairs itself at night and is most conducive to products. I’ve been using this mask for three weeks now and I’m in love with the results. I seem to wake up to brighter more hydrated skin. Bonus: It absorbs right away so you don’t have to worry about getting it all over your pillow.
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Complex ($46 – $120): I’ve been using this elixir of essential oils and distilled botanicals as a serum under my Sulwhasoo mask. It smells lovely and seems to be calming and hydrating. For those of you with oily skin, you could wear this alone at night to get the full benefits.
Giorgio Armani Rouge d’Armani Sheer ($34): This is the queen of all lip sheers. Forget all you’ve known before of tinted lip balms and sheer lipsticks — this ultra-hydrating confection takes the cake. Not only does it drop the perfect amount of color, it locks in the color and hydrating for several hours. Winner.
So, as you can imagine I personally do not have the willpower to go to Neiman Marcus in person, even though their stunning San Francisco location is only 30 minutes away and their well-appointed facial room beckons to me. I will be a good girl (relatively) and do my shopping online.
The Neiman Marcus Beauty Event lasts until March 2nd, so whether you decide to do your shopping in-person or online, just remember to binge responsibly and even Sisley-Paris skincare isn’t worth spending the electricity bill money. (On the other hand, your skin will look amazing in candlelight…)
Posted by janna Tags Armani Cosmetics, Cle de Peau, Georgio Armani, GwP, Kiehl's, Neiman Marcus, Sisley-Paris, Sulwhasoo
Hello, my lovelies! I hope you all had a chance to tune in to last week’s podcast with makeup artist Maria Luxen, “Why Does Your Makeup Look Like Sh*t??” This week I was a bit more tame but still had so much fun with beauty blogger and vlogger Kristie Burnett from Blushing Basics. She is beyond adorbs and you must check out her kick-ass video makeup tutorials on YouTube!janna Tags Blushing Basics, Caswell-Massey, Gift Ideas, Kiehl's, Lush, MAC, MAKE UP FOR EVER, Makeup Artist, SK-II, The Clear Cube, Victoria's Secret
I want to cover the body first since my skin has already gotten a bit itchy from the climate change. First rule of thumb (which I hate by the way) is to stop taking long hot showers. Unfortunately, they strip the skin of protective oils which further dries the skin. I also store away all my lovely scented bath gels and creams. Since my skin is getting crushed by the zero humidity, cold wind, and pumping dry, hot air through the heater, it is extra sensitive and irritated. Those lovely scented products have chemicals which further irritate, therefore I put my Bliss Blood Orange + White Pepper Soapy Suds Body Wash away and replace it with Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Calming Body Wash Daily Shower Oil. The operative word in that long title is “oil”. The omega oils replace some of the natural oils that are stripped via the hot water and other thankless winter conditions, and its highly recommended by dermatologists. I love that it’s unscented and makes a palpable difference in the softness of my skin. I use my hand (instead of the my bath mitt, which can further strip) to cleanse my body with the oil (which becomes a creamy lather once wet) and then I pat myself dry.
It pains me to put away my Bond No. 9 New York Scent of Peace Cream Body Silk, since its fluffy texture and sumptuous smell makes me want to scoop up half the jar and slather it on my skin. But, I have to be rational and realize that the fragrance can irritate therefore I moisturize my body with Kiehl’s Creme de Corps, which is rich, hydrating, and nourishing with its wonder ingredients like beta-carotene, cocoa butter, and sesame oil.
So put away the fragranced products and treat your skin to some gentle nourishment. Consider getting a humidifier and keep the showers short!Posted by janna Tags Bliss, Bond No. 9, Eucerin, Kiehl's