I know you all think I plop myself down in front of my vanity every morning and spend a good hour putting on my face — using several different concealers to camouflage my puffy eyes, carefully sculpting the perfect winged eye, prepping and painting on the perfect statement lip — ok that’s me on a big night out, but not during the week. I mean come on, I live in crunchy Northern California now so I’ve kind of been forced to embrace the “Fresh Face Look”. The good news? I found that I can actually look surprisingly good after dedicated 5-7 minutes to my makeup routine. And for those of you mommies and worker bees who don’t have more than a few minutes to slap on your makeup in the morning, you are going to love me forever:janna Tags Amore Pacific, Blush, Bronzer, Cle de Peau, Eyelash Extensions, Foundation, Laura Mercier, lipstick, Lipstick Queen, MAC, Mascara, Orlane, Primer, Tarte, Tinted Moisturizer, Votre Vu
That’s right. I made the big move to cream foundation by introducing Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Creme Compact SPF 20 ($45) into my regimen. For those of you who have read Beauty Binge from its infancy you know that a couple years ago I was reluctant to even wear foundation on a regular basis. I was under the delusion that I didn’t need foundation until Makeup Artist Maria Luxen gave me a shoulder shake and pointed out all the redness in my skin. To make a long story short (to read the long story and the review of the Amore Pacific foundation click here) shortly after my intervention I discovered the AMOREPACIFIC ‘Time Response Skin Renewal’ Foundation SPF 18 ($90) which was the perfect starter foundation with its light coverage, dewey finish, skin soothing ingredients, and SPF.
So what went wrong? Well, it takes a lot for me to admit this but I needed more coverage. There I said it. I noticed that it was taking me way too long to apply and blend the foundation, it still looked streaky when I was done, and I could still see redness underneath the makeup. Now making the move from a sheer liquid to a cream compact is pretty dramatic (and luckily unnecessary) so you can imagine how excited I was when Laura Mercier sent me their Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Creme Compact SPF 20 ($45) in Blush. Instead of thick and heavy coverage like most creme compacts, this is the baby steps version providing light to medium (but buildable to heavy where you need it) coverage with the added benefit of providing hydration and SPF.janna Tags Anti-Redness, Foundation, Laura Mercier, Tinted Moisturizer
We all know Oscar Nominee Jennifer Lawrence knows how to rock a red carpet since she transformed every red carpet into a runway during her Hunger Games media tour. She has not disappointed this award season especially considering that for most of the season Jennifer (yes, we’re obviously on a first name basis) should have been in bed or in the hospital rather than strutting her stuff on the red carpet since she was plagued with illness for most of the award shows. You would never know she even had a sniffle based on her photos — every look was classic and flawless. Obviously the only way to pay true homage to The Girl on Fire leading up to her big night is to recreate one of her best red carpet looks. I chose her SAG Awards look:
First I want to introduce and thank our lovely model, Maghan McDowell, a vey talented writer who currently covers Style and Living for the San Francisco Chronicle. She was very patient with my non-makeup artist methods and didn’t bat an eyelash when I had to clean up the side of her face because I had managed to drag coral makeup (don’t ask; I was experimenting) all over her cheek and chin.janna Tags Bobbi Brown, Dolce & Gabbana, Evening Makeup, Fresh, Laura Mercier, Makeover, Red Carpet Beauty, Red carpet look, Tarte, Urban Decay
Hello, my lovelies! I recently returned to News10 ABC Sacramento to bestow my beauty knowledge. For the first segment I talked Winter Skincare Tips and for the second segment I shared my favorite multi-tasking makeup that will help you battle even the coldest of winters. You will find links to all the products I mentioned below the clips. Enjoy!
Winter Skincare Tips (If the video isn’t working for you, click here)
I’m embarrassed to even type these words, but… I lost my makeup brush roll. How does such a thing happen? It’s my own fault for separating my brushes from my makeup case when I foolishly decided my finely curated brush collection had outgrown the confines of the makeup case pocket. I’m pretty sure I left the brush roll in wine country, but no one has found them. Now I’m left hopeless — applying velvety shadows with fingertips, attempting to bronze with a sponge (hello drag queen cheeks), and blending with tissues (lots and lots of blending).
It’s tough for me to take the first step and begin replacing my coveted brush collection, even if my new method of makeup application leaves me looking like “What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?” I’ll tell you my problem right now… I loved my brushes for the obvious reasons — quality, longevity, feel, etc. But it also took me years of buying tons of expensive brushes I never ended up using to whittle down to my dream team. Those poor brushes are probably crying in a trashcan somewhere in Napa, drunk off the drops of the near-empty wine bottles, wondering where their Mommy is… Okay maybe I’m being creepy, but they are my babies. Read the rest of this entry »Posted by janna Tags Cle de Peau, Laura Mercier, MAC, Makeup brushes, Makeup For Ever
Forget Hallmark’s cheese and that “Every Kiss Begins with Kay….” Every kiss begins with you morphing into your naughty self for your sexy man on Valentine’s Day. Put down the mascara and the red lipstick. Yes, I know you’re thinking I’ve sniffed too much nail polish at this point. How dare I put aside siren red lipstick on Valentine’s Day? Well, think about it… Guess where red lipstick ends up when you give your man his present? Exactly. And no man likes the taste of lipstick, nor do they like trying to bleach a lipstick stain off their pillow. And mascara?? I know, I know, but bad idea. Rocky Raccoon just isn’t sexy. Here’s what you should do:
1) Pull out all the stops in making your skin glow. Give yourself a mini-facial. I have sensitive skin so I will cleanse and then apply a gentle exfoliator like Sonya Dakar Enzyme Peeling Cream, then a plumping, moisturizing mask like SK-II Facial Treatment Mask. I will follow with my regular moisturizing routine and primer. By pre-beautifying my skin I won’t have to worry about wearing foundation that will leave an abstract painting on the pillow.
2) Your lips are the focal point here. Start by exfoliating them, which will naturally plump them and give them a delicious, rosy tint. I use Bite Beauty Fruit Lip Scrub, which is cherry -flavored deliciousness and leaves my lips soft and supple. Then, I smooth on Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Plum, which hydrates and leaves sheer, subtle color.
3) Conceal what you need to, and then create a non-shimmery, natural bronzy glow with Benefit Hoola. Give yourself a big smile in the mirror and apply Tarte Cheek Stain, a natural-looking gel blush, on the apples of your cheeks.
4) I know I told you to ditch the mascara. That may have been harsh. If you have a proven mascara that is waterproof and doesn’t flake, then go for it. Personally, if I didn’t have my lash extensions, I would rather make my inner sex kitten purr by applying individual false eyelashes in the corners of my eyes.
5) Last step? Slather your body in Laura Mercier Creme Brûlée Body Butter. Everyone knows (even scientists!) that the more you smell like a dessert, the more your man goes crazy.Posted by janna Tags Benefit, Bite Beauty, Eyelash Extensions, Fresh, Laura Mercier, SK-II, Sonya Dakar