Exfoliants scare me. There, I said it. My skin has gotten more high-maintenance and reactive over the years and it’s gotten to the point that anything could set it off on a tangent. I sound like I’m in an abusive relationship; I kind of am. I’m having anxiety just thinking about the time I dared to get a facial during my menstrual cycle. I didn’t even get extractions but the gentle fruit acid peel set my skin on a week-long red bump and whitehead fest. Good times.
Whatever. It’s in the past. I decided to stop letting fear make my decisions (especially when I looked in the mirror to see enlarged pores and visible lines, ew!) and look for a gentle yet effective exfoliator. After doing tons of research, I ended up buying the Sonya Dakar Flash Facial ($95) since I found numerous reviews from sensitive skin users who said it worked wonders and didn’t irritate:
CONSISTENCY: Clear, thin gel
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Lactic Acid (gentle exfoliator); Hylasome (5 times more moisture than standard hyaluroinic acid), and Resveratrol (antioxidants)
SKIN TYPES: All! As long as you use according to your skin’s tolerance
So, listen carefully here… If you have sensitive skin DO NOT use this product as directed on the packaging. The packaging says that after letting the mask dry 1-2 minutes, “rub off” the product in small circular motions. If your skin is sensitive this is just going to irritate it further by stretching and pulling when its most vulnerable. The lactic acid is enough of an exfoliator that you’ll get amazing results by just rinsing off the mask with lukewarm water. Also, ignore the directions that say you can use this mask every day. Use some common sense here, if your skin is prone to irritation, redness, etc. only use this product twice a week at most. Obviously!
Now, if you listen to the wise Beauty Binger and use the Sonya Dakar Flash Facial as I’ve directed, expect visibly smoother, brighter, less-congested skin in 1-2 minutes. Even my high-maintanence, bitchy skin couldn’t complain about these gentle results. But don’t even think about leaving the house without an SPF of at least 30 or expect another skin temper tantrum.
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links gives the Beauty Binge blog a commission when you click and purchase something from that link. It’s just like a retail associate who works on a commission basis. When you shop through an affiliate link on Beauty Binge you help support the site!
Posted by janna Tags Exfoliant, Sensitive Skin, Sonya Dakar
Forget Hallmark’s cheese and that “Every Kiss Begins with Kay….” Every kiss begins with you morphing into your naughty self for your sexy man on Valentine’s Day. Put down the mascara and the red lipstick. Yes, I know you’re thinking I’ve sniffed too much nail polish at this point. How dare I put aside siren red lipstick on Valentine’s Day? Well, think about it… Guess where red lipstick ends up when you give your man his present? Exactly. And no man likes the taste of lipstick, nor do they like trying to bleach a lipstick stain off their pillow. And mascara?? I know, I know, but bad idea. Rocky Raccoon just isn’t sexy. Here’s what you should do:
1) Pull out all the stops in making your skin glow. Give yourself a mini-facial. I have sensitive skin so I will cleanse and then apply a gentle exfoliator like Sonya Dakar Enzyme Peeling Cream, then a plumping, moisturizing mask like SK-II Facial Treatment Mask. I will follow with my regular moisturizing routine and primer. By pre-beautifying my skin I won’t have to worry about wearing foundation that will leave an abstract painting on the pillow.
2) Your lips are the focal point here. Start by exfoliating them, which will naturally plump them and give them a delicious, rosy tint. I use Bite Beauty Fruit Lip Scrub, which is cherry -flavored deliciousness and leaves my lips soft and supple. Then, I smooth on Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Plum, which hydrates and leaves sheer, subtle color.
3) Conceal what you need to, and then create a non-shimmery, natural bronzy glow with Benefit Hoola. Give yourself a big smile in the mirror and apply Tarte Cheek Stain, a natural-looking gel blush, on the apples of your cheeks.
4) I know I told you to ditch the mascara. That may have been harsh. If you have a proven mascara that is waterproof and doesn’t flake, then go for it. Personally, if I didn’t have my lash extensions, I would rather make my inner sex kitten purr by applying individual false eyelashes in the corners of my eyes.
5) Last step? Slather your body in Laura Mercier Creme Brûlée Body Butter. Everyone knows (even scientists!) that the more you smell like a dessert, the more your man goes crazy.Posted by janna Tags Benefit, Bite Beauty, Eyelash Extensions, Fresh, Laura Mercier, SK-II, Sonya Dakar