Now that I have a baby girl, the days of me turning my makeup application process into a long, enjoyable ritual — taking an hour to carefully plan and execute the perfect smoky eye or shadowed winged eye while downing a couple glasses of chardonnay — are long gone. Now, I’m lucky to have five minutes before my husband is calling me to the door.
People who aren’t true makeup lovers never understood how it could take me so long to get ready… It was never that I felt naked or ugly without a full face of makeup or that I’m so vain that I needed 60 minutes to perfect my face… I actually relished the process. It was almost a form of meditation for me.
I’ve found that even though I can’t take the time to create new dramatic makeup looks (and let’s face it, my social schedule isn’t quite demanding cat eyes and electric fuchsia lipstick), I enjoy the fact that I’ve been able to whittle down my routine significantly, still be pleased with the final product, and even get in 5 minutes of my own personal meditation:janna Tags Amore Pacific, Bite Beauty, Bobbi Brown, Cle de Peau, makeup, Makeup How-to, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Nars, Tarte, tarte cosmetics, Urban Decay
You would be shocked how many brides have asked me if they should try a new hair color or get a deep cleansing facial a week before their wedding (Miller, you’re at the top of that list). What do you think my answer is? It’s always the same — “Are you fucking kidding me?” Ladies, seriously. We’re talking about your wedding day here. Do you really want to open up Pandora’s Box full of possible disasters?? Not on my watch.
Here’s the list of things you best not be doing within a week of your big day:
1. Getting a facial with extractions. I don’t care if it’s a deep-cleansing facial, anti-aging facial or even a sensitive skin facial. DO NOT GET EXTRACTIONS. NOTHING GOOD WILL COME OF IT. You’re risking a red splotchy face, pimples being coaxed to the surface, and possible scarring.
2. Getting any sort of acid peel or microdermabrasion. If you have really oily skin and you’ve done peels an/or microdermabrasion in the past then do them at least 3 weeks before the big day. If you have normal skin, STAY AWAY FROM THE AGGRESSIVE EXFOLIANTS! If you are getting a facial in a spa, ask the aesthetician if she has any fruit enzyme peels. If you’re giving yourself an at-home facial, try a gentle enzyme peel like AMOREPACIFIC ‘Treatment’ Enzyme Peel ($60) which gives your skin a brighter, more radiant texture without risking looking like you got caught in a chemical fire.
3. Start using a new retinol, alpha / beta hydroxy, or salicylic-based product. Unless you want to risk your skin peeling off in layers like a leper on your big day, avoid any aggressive new skincare products, especially ones that contain retinol, alpha / beta hydroxy acids, or salicylic acids. Think soothing products for the week prior. Slather your face in nourishing oil like Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil ($48) which is rich in Vitamin C and essential fatty acids, giving you a brighter, smoother complexion without the risk. Seal in the moisture at night with a sleeping mask like Korres Greek Yoghurt Advanced Nourishing Sleeping Mask ($45) , which happens to be one of my most favorite skincare items of all time. It instantly cools upon application so if you’re an idiot and you get too much sun, this is the perfect mask to slather on to take down the redness and irritation. I personally use it every night to soothe my bitchy skin and seal in moisture.
4. Change your hair color and/or switch colorists. Seriously? Do I really have to spell out why this is a bad idea? Girl, you should have thought of this a couple months ago. It’s too late now. You are risking the whole rainbow of bad outcomes by dabbling in a different hair color a week before your wedding.
5. Get your first Keratin Treatment or go to a new stylist. Again, the risk is not worth the reward. You could end up looking like Mommy Dearest took scissors to your hair. I’ve seen some badly singed, fried hair as a result of this straightening treatment. So buyers beware. And don’t forget all the experts say the best thing you can do is wear your hair in its natural texture on your wedding day to minimize the risk of frizzes.
6. Get a spray tan or try a new sunless tanner. Okay, this should be another no-brainer. But if you insist on having a little color for your wedding day you need to start testing spray tans and sunless tanners months before your wedding so you can pinpoint your exact natural shade. I can’t tell you how many Oompa Loompa brides I’ve seen walk down the aisle. I know I should be looking at her beautiful dress and face, but I can’t stop thinking about how she looks radioactive next to her groom.
So now you have the forbidden list. I don’t want to hear your pleas and tears when you break one of my cardinal rules. Now run along and be good little brides. Don’t forget to look for my final installment of Bridal Skin Care Bootcamp which will take you through your “day of” regimen.Posted by janna Tags Amore Pacific, bridal bootcamp, Bridal skincare, Facial, Korres, Tarte, tarte cosmetics
Are you sick of hearing about beauty gift ideas yet? GET OVER IT! No, seriously… I SWEAR this will be the last gift-oriented post. The beauty of this post is you don’t even have to read! You can just watch the little clips below!
Part 1 (If the clip is not showing up, click here)
Part 2 (If the clip is not showing up, click here)
Happy Holidays, my lovelies!Posted by janna Tags Ahava, Anthony Logistics, First Aid Beauty, Fresh, MAKE UP FOR EVER, Nars, Nest Fragrance, NYX, tarte cosmetics
“Inspired Style” Holiday Tips from me and the Mavens at QVC, Tarte Cosmetics, Send the Trend, and Sugarlaws!
Hello my lovelies! I had so much fun this morning on my Google+ Hangout (which streamed live to YouTube) talking about how to rock out your holiday parties in style! I felt so honored to be included with such a glamorous bunch:
- Amy Stran, Host of QVC’s Inspired Style
- Divya Gugnani, Founder of Send the Trend
- Koryn Kennedy, Digital Marketing Manager for tarte cosmetics
- Katy Atlas, Editor of Sugar Laws
Watch the segment below and let me know what you think! (By the way, please excuse my mall hair. Even beauty bloggers have bad hair days!)
If for some reason the video does not show below, just follow this link: Inspired Style Ideas for Your Holiday Party
Posted by janna Tags Gift Ideas, Google+, Holiday Style, Send the Trend, Sugar Laws, tarte cosmetics