It was the most inflamed of times, it was the shiniest of times, it was the age of visible redness, it was the age of large pores, it was the epoch of angry skin, it was the epoch of visible shine, it was the season of dryness, it was the season of t-zone troubles….
Ok, you get it.
What I’m trying to say (aside from my poor attempt to Dickens up my post) is my skin is going through two very ugly phases right now:
1. Tons of redness and irritation that tends to flame up from stress (good luck avoiding that), a glass of wine (I have a better chance avoiding the stress), and coffee (I would rather pull my eyelashes out one by one than give up coffee)
2. My pores are huge and I seem to get shiny in my t-zone regardless of the weather or situation
Luckily, I found two primers that are helping me through these woeful times. Yes, it sucks that I have to apply two separate primers but it’s better than the unsightly alternative. First, banishing the redness…
I tried CLINIQUE Redness Solutions Daily Protective Base SPF 15 without expecting much. I’d heard it all before — soothing, redness-reducing, blah blah blah. I’ve tried almost every green-tinted skin product out there, all of them made big promises to correct my angry red skin. So, I wasn’t expecting much when I slathered the creamy, green dill-scented primer all over my face. It felt cool and comforting upon application. Then I looked in the mirror and noticed my skin looked borderline normal! Sure, there was still some visible pink but it wasn’t the usual “I just walked through a chemical fire” face.
Protects skin from the UVA/UVB exposure that can aggravate skins with Rosacea or reactive redness. Does it without chemical sunscreens. Comforting, oil-free makeup primer with a sheer green tint visually corrects redness, evens skin tone.
Overall, my skin looked healthy and dewy. This definitely isn’t the type of primer to give you that flawless airbrushed finish. My pores were still large and in charge and obviously the dewy finish wasn’t doing my shine any favors.
Enter primer #2…
Tarte Timeless Smoothing Primer is a blurring primer to help fill in fine lines and enlarged pores, and put the kibosh on shine. If you have oily skin, this primer is your new best friend. It literally melts into the skin giving you an airbrushed, “blurred” finish.
A melt-in smoothing primer with innovative blurring and filling technology for a youthful appearance perfectly primed for makeup application.
Product Performance: Turn back the hands of time with tarte’s new timeless smoothing and filling primer formulated to fade out your biggest beauty boundaries such as large pores, fine lines and wrinkles. The antioxidant-rich formula infused with vitamins C & E and green bean extract gently melts into the skin delivering a surge of moisture, peptides and other naturally-derived elixirs for a firmer, smoother appearance. You’ll love the lightweight texture and fresh powder scent as it provides the perfect blank canvas to enhance the look and wear time of makeup. It can also be worn alone as part of your skincare regimen, blurring out skin imperfections and signs of aging for a flawless, soft-focus finish.
Powered By: vitamin E: natural preservative that also acts as an anti-inflammatory emollient and antioxidant
vitamin C: antioxidant that fights free radical damage and premature signs of aging while brightening skin
green bean extract: known for anti-wrinkle and pore minimizing properties
mineral pigments: soothe and soften skin
A word to the wise… If you have combination skin like me you only want to put this mattifying primer on your trouble spots or your skin will end up looking flat. And as Dickens may have said himself, had a been a beauty blogger…
“It is a far, far better primer that I wear, than I have ever worn; it is a far, far better skin that I have, than I have ever known.”
Posted by janna Tags Clinique, Enlarged Pores, Oily Skin, Primer, Redness, Sensitive Skin, shine, Tarte, tarte cosmetics
Now that I have a baby girl, the days of me turning my makeup application process into a long, enjoyable ritual — taking an hour to carefully plan and execute the perfect smoky eye or shadowed winged eye while downing a couple glasses of chardonnay — are long gone. Now, I’m lucky to have five minutes before my husband is calling me to the door.
People who aren’t true makeup lovers never understood how it could take me so long to get ready… It was never that I felt naked or ugly without a full face of makeup or that I’m so vain that I needed 60 minutes to perfect my face… I actually relished the process. It was almost a form of meditation for me.
I’ve found that even though I can’t take the time to create new dramatic makeup looks (and let’s face it, my social schedule isn’t quite demanding cat eyes and electric fuchsia lipstick), I enjoy the fact that I’ve been able to whittle down my routine significantly, still be pleased with the final product, and even get in 5 minutes of my own personal meditation:janna Tags Amore Pacific, Bite Beauty, Bobbi Brown, Cle de Peau, makeup, Makeup How-to, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Nars, Tarte, tarte cosmetics, Urban Decay
You would be shocked how many brides have asked me if they should try a new hair color or get a deep cleansing facial a week before their wedding (Miller, you’re at the top of that list). What do you think my answer is? It’s always the same — “Are you fucking kidding me?” Ladies, seriously. We’re talking about your wedding day here. Do you really want to open up Pandora’s Box full of possible disasters?? Not on my watch.
Here’s the list of things you best not be doing within a week of your big day:
1. Getting a facial with extractions. I don’t care if it’s a deep-cleansing facial, anti-aging facial or even a sensitive skin facial. DO NOT GET EXTRACTIONS. NOTHING GOOD WILL COME OF IT. You’re risking a red splotchy face, pimples being coaxed to the surface, and possible scarring.
2. Getting any sort of acid peel or microdermabrasion. If you have really oily skin and you’ve done peels an/or microdermabrasion in the past then do them at least 3 weeks before the big day. If you have normal skin, STAY AWAY FROM THE AGGRESSIVE EXFOLIANTS! If you are getting a facial in a spa, ask the aesthetician if she has any fruit enzyme peels. If you’re giving yourself an at-home facial, try a gentle enzyme peel like AMOREPACIFIC ‘Treatment’ Enzyme Peel ($60) which gives your skin a brighter, more radiant texture without risking looking like you got caught in a chemical fire.
3. Start using a new retinol, alpha / beta hydroxy, or salicylic-based product. Unless you want to risk your skin peeling off in layers like a leper on your big day, avoid any aggressive new skincare products, especially ones that contain retinol, alpha / beta hydroxy acids, or salicylic acids. Think soothing products for the week prior. Slather your face in nourishing oil like Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil ($48) which is rich in Vitamin C and essential fatty acids, giving you a brighter, smoother complexion without the risk. Seal in the moisture at night with a sleeping mask like Korres Greek Yoghurt Advanced Nourishing Sleeping Mask ($45) , which happens to be one of my most favorite skincare items of all time. It instantly cools upon application so if you’re an idiot and you get too much sun, this is the perfect mask to slather on to take down the redness and irritation. I personally use it every night to soothe my bitchy skin and seal in moisture.
4. Change your hair color and/or switch colorists. Seriously? Do I really have to spell out why this is a bad idea? Girl, you should have thought of this a couple months ago. It’s too late now. You are risking the whole rainbow of bad outcomes by dabbling in a different hair color a week before your wedding.
5. Get your first Keratin Treatment or go to a new stylist. Again, the risk is not worth the reward. You could end up looking like Mommy Dearest took scissors to your hair. I’ve seen some badly singed, fried hair as a result of this straightening treatment. So buyers beware. And don’t forget all the experts say the best thing you can do is wear your hair in its natural texture on your wedding day to minimize the risk of frizzes.
6. Get a spray tan or try a new sunless tanner. Okay, this should be another no-brainer. But if you insist on having a little color for your wedding day you need to start testing spray tans and sunless tanners months before your wedding so you can pinpoint your exact natural shade. I can’t tell you how many Oompa Loompa brides I’ve seen walk down the aisle. I know I should be looking at her beautiful dress and face, but I can’t stop thinking about how she looks radioactive next to her groom.
So now you have the forbidden list. I don’t want to hear your pleas and tears when you break one of my cardinal rules. Now run along and be good little brides. Don’t forget to look for my final installment of Bridal Skin Care Bootcamp which will take you through your “day of” regimen.Posted by janna Tags Amore Pacific, bridal bootcamp, Bridal skincare, Facial, Korres, Tarte, tarte cosmetics
Are you sick of hearing about beauty gift ideas yet? GET OVER IT! No, seriously… I SWEAR this will be the last gift-oriented post. The beauty of this post is you don’t even have to read! You can just watch the little clips below!
Part 1 (If the clip is not showing up, click here)
Part 2 (If the clip is not showing up, click here)
Happy Holidays, my lovelies!Posted by janna Tags Ahava, Anthony Logistics, First Aid Beauty, Fresh, MAKE UP FOR EVER, Nars, Nest Fragrance, NYX, tarte cosmetics
“Inspired Style” Holiday Tips from me and the Mavens at QVC, Tarte Cosmetics, Send the Trend, and Sugarlaws!
Hello my lovelies! I had so much fun this morning on my Google+ Hangout (which streamed live to YouTube) talking about how to rock out your holiday parties in style! I felt so honored to be included with such a glamorous bunch:
- Amy Stran, Host of QVC’s Inspired Style
- Divya Gugnani, Founder of Send the Trend
- Koryn Kennedy, Digital Marketing Manager for tarte cosmetics
- Katy Atlas, Editor of Sugar Laws
Watch the segment below and let me know what you think! (By the way, please excuse my mall hair. Even beauty bloggers have bad hair days!)
If for some reason the video does not show below, just follow this link: Inspired Style Ideas for Your Holiday Party
Posted by janna Tags Gift Ideas, Google+, Holiday Style, Send the Trend, Sugar Laws, tarte cosmetics