You would be shocked how many brides have asked me if they should try a new hair color or get a deep cleansing facial a week before their wedding (Miller, you’re at the top of that list). What do you think my answer is? It’s always the same — “Are you fucking kidding me?” Ladies, seriously. We’re talking about your wedding day here. Do you really want to open up Pandora’s Box full of possible disasters?? Not on my watch.
Here’s the list of things you best not be doing within a week of your big day:
1. Getting a facial with extractions. I don’t care if it’s a deep-cleansing facial, anti-aging facial or even a sensitive skin facial. DO NOT GET EXTRACTIONS. NOTHING GOOD WILL COME OF IT. You’re risking a red splotchy face, pimples being coaxed to the surface, and possible scarring.
2. Getting any sort of acid peel or microdermabrasion. If you have really oily skin and you’ve done peels an/or microdermabrasion in the past then do them at least 3 weeks before the big day. If you have normal skin, STAY AWAY FROM THE AGGRESSIVE EXFOLIANTS! If you are getting a facial in a spa, ask the aesthetician if she has any fruit enzyme peels. If you’re giving yourself an at-home facial, try a gentle enzyme peel like AMOREPACIFIC ‘Treatment’ Enzyme Peel ($60) which gives your skin a brighter, more radiant texture without risking looking like you got caught in a chemical fire.
3. Start using a new retinol, alpha / beta hydroxy, or salicylic-based product. Unless you want to risk your skin peeling off in layers like a leper on your big day, avoid any aggressive new skincare products, especially ones that contain retinol, alpha / beta hydroxy acids, or salicylic acids. Think soothing products for the week prior. Slather your face in nourishing oil like Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil ($48) which is rich in Vitamin C and essential fatty acids, giving you a brighter, smoother complexion without the risk. Seal in the moisture at night with a sleeping mask like Korres Greek Yoghurt Advanced Nourishing Sleeping Mask ($45) , which happens to be one of my most favorite skincare items of all time. It instantly cools upon application so if you’re an idiot and you get too much sun, this is the perfect mask to slather on to take down the redness and irritation. I personally use it every night to soothe my bitchy skin and seal in moisture.
4. Change your hair color and/or switch colorists. Seriously? Do I really have to spell out why this is a bad idea? Girl, you should have thought of this a couple months ago. It’s too late now. You are risking the whole rainbow of bad outcomes by dabbling in a different hair color a week before your wedding.
5. Get your first Keratin Treatment or go to a new stylist. Again, the risk is not worth the reward. You could end up looking like Mommy Dearest took scissors to your hair. I’ve seen some badly singed, fried hair as a result of this straightening treatment. So buyers beware. And don’t forget all the experts say the best thing you can do is wear your hair in its natural texture on your wedding day to minimize the risk of frizzes.
6. Get a spray tan or try a new sunless tanner. Okay, this should be another no-brainer. But if you insist on having a little color for your wedding day you need to start testing spray tans and sunless tanners months before your wedding so you can pinpoint your exact natural shade. I can’t tell you how many Oompa Loompa brides I’ve seen walk down the aisle. I know I should be looking at her beautiful dress and face, but I can’t stop thinking about how she looks radioactive next to her groom.
So now you have the forbidden list. I don’t want to hear your pleas and tears when you break one of my cardinal rules. Now run along and be good little brides. Don’t forget to look for my final installment of Bridal Skin Care Bootcamp which will take you through your “day of” regimen.Posted by janna Tags Amore Pacific, bridal bootcamp, Bridal skincare, Facial, Korres, Tarte, tarte cosmetics
I know you all think I plop myself down in front of my vanity every morning and spend a good hour putting on my face — using several different concealers to camouflage my puffy eyes, carefully sculpting the perfect winged eye, prepping and painting on the perfect statement lip — ok that’s me on a big night out, but not during the week. I mean come on, I live in crunchy Northern California now so I’ve kind of been forced to embrace the “Fresh Face Look”. The good news? I found that I can actually look surprisingly good after dedicated 5-7 minutes to my makeup routine. And for those of you mommies and worker bees who don’t have more than a few minutes to slap on your makeup in the morning, you are going to love me forever:janna Tags Amore Pacific, Blush, Bronzer, Cle de Peau, Eyelash Extensions, Foundation, Laura Mercier, lipstick, Lipstick Queen, MAC, Mascara, Orlane, Primer, Tarte, Tinted Moisturizer, Votre Vu
Tune into the My Beauty Binge podcast this week to find out the hottest makeup trends that rocked the runways and the red carpets these past few weeks. You will also learn how to recreate the most wearable, flattering trends at home.
Download the podcast from iTunes or listen to it streaming on your computer here (it’s the 1st podcast) and it’s free! If you hit the “SUBSCRIBE” button in iTunes you will automatically get all my podcasts!janna Tags Bite Beauty, Celebrities, Celebrity Beauty, Dior, Lancome, Lipstick Queen, MAC, MAKE UP FOR EVER, Sephora Collection, Stila, Tarte
A few weeks ago, I wrote about MAKE UP FOR EVER’s Magical Mystery Tour called “Makeup Bag Remix” coming to a city near you. I was lucky enough to experience this fun event in all its glory when the MAKE UP FOR EVER trucks cruised into San Francisco. I was put into the talented hands of Make Up Artist Genoa, who taught me a few tricks on how to utilize my existing makeup to create a day look and how to use a gorgeous MAKE UP FOR EVER palette (see below) to magically camouflage my puffy eyes AND create the perfect hot pink lip.
Now what was totally unique about this event is I had to beg Genoa to show me new MAKE UP FOR EVER products. That’s right, it’s the opposite of getting bullied at the makeup counter. These makeup artists stick to their word and show you how to utilize ONLY the products in your bag unless you request to see some new product. I took a few short videos (and please excuse the extremely unflattering angles. I took one for the team) to help you recreate the magic at home.
How to Conceal Puffy Eyes
Shockingly Genoa used the MAKE UP FOR EVER 12 Flash Color Case ($99) to completely neutralize my puffy eyes:
First she patted the white onto the puffiness and then created a sunrise color with the coral and yellow and then layered it on top of the white: (If video doesn’t show up for you, click here)
Oh my lovelies, for those of you who follow me on Twitter or Facebook you know last night’s red carpet was simply traumatizing for this beauty addict. Where was the glitz? Where was the glamour? Since when did messy matronly updos become an acceptable trend? And where the hell was the red carpet makeup? Based on the majority of looks last night I’m pretty sure the LA makeup artists are on silent strike. That’s the only conclusion I can come to after seeing several starlets whose faces and dresses were both devoid of color. Luckily, a select few of the celebrities rebelled against the boring plague last night by actually showing up in black tie beauty (imagine wearing black tie makeup and hair to the most formal event of the year? How novel) and so yes, I do actually have a fewpositive things to say, but don’t expect too much sunshine and roses. Oh and by the way, in protest I refuse to show you Jennifer Aniston because you could honestly be looking at any photo of her from the past couple years. I just can’t condone it.
What did you think of the Oscars last night? Who were some of your favorites?
Posted by janna Tags Celebrities, Celebrity Beauty, Lipstick Queen, Oscars, Red Carpet Beauty, Statement lip, Tarte
We all know Oscar Nominee Jennifer Lawrence knows how to rock a red carpet since she transformed every red carpet into a runway during her Hunger Games media tour. She has not disappointed this award season especially considering that for most of the season Jennifer (yes, we’re obviously on a first name basis) should have been in bed or in the hospital rather than strutting her stuff on the red carpet since she was plagued with illness for most of the award shows. You would never know she even had a sniffle based on her photos — every look was classic and flawless. Obviously the only way to pay true homage to The Girl on Fire leading up to her big night is to recreate one of her best red carpet looks. I chose her SAG Awards look:
First I want to introduce and thank our lovely model, Maghan McDowell, a vey talented writer who currently covers Style and Living for the San Francisco Chronicle. She was very patient with my non-makeup artist methods and didn’t bat an eyelash when I had to clean up the side of her face because I had managed to drag coral makeup (don’t ask; I was experimenting) all over her cheek and chin.janna Tags Bobbi Brown, Dolce & Gabbana, Evening Makeup, Fresh, Laura Mercier, Makeover, Red Carpet Beauty, Red carpet look, Tarte, Urban Decay
Tune into the My Beauty Binge podcast this week to hear tips and ideas on how to care for your skin during the harsh winter months. Also, learn a few makeup tricks from NY-based makeup artist extraordinaire Maria Luxen, founder of Makeup Mayhem, on how she ensures her makeup always looks flawless despite the wind and snow.
Download the podcast from iTunes or listen to it streaming on your computer here (it’s the 1st podcast) and it’s free! If you hit the “SUBSCRIBE” button in iTunes you will automatically get all my podcasts!janna Tags Almay, Creme de la Mer, Decleor, Dr Jart+, First Aid Beauty, Kate Somerville, MAKE UP FOR EVER, Maybelline, NYX, Revlon, Tarte
I got tired of the sheers. It’s time to bring on the color!
Day 3 Smoocher: Tarte LipSurgence Matte Lip Tint in Fiery (matte red)janna Tags Lip stain, Matte Lip, Tarte, Valentine's Day
Hello, my lovelies! I recently returned to News10 ABC Sacramento to bestow my beauty knowledge. For the first segment I talked Winter Skincare Tips and for the second segment I shared my favorite multi-tasking makeup that will help you battle even the coldest of winters. You will find links to all the products I mentioned below the clips. Enjoy!
Winter Skincare Tips (If the video isn’t working for you, click here)
We all know I’m the primer police. It’s the one beauty product that every makeup artist and beauty blogger swears by yet it’s astonishing how few women actually use it. Shame on you ladies. Listen to the wise Beauty Binge and stop crying about your visible pores and the fact that your makeup disappears after a couple hours and get yourself some primer! Enough scolding… For now.
Before I discovered Tarte Clean Slate 360 Creaseless 12-Hr Smoothing Eye Primer ($19) I was forced to use my face primer on my eyelids followed by concealer to ensure my eyeshadow blended evenly and stayed on until I took it off. I have tried the popular eye primers that everyone raves about like Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($20) and Too Faced – Shadow Insurance ($18), but both made my eyelids look crepey and old once I applied shadow. It didn’t matter that my shadow lasted all night since I hated the way it looked.
I got a sample of the Tarte Clean Slate 360 Creaseless 12-Hr Smoothing Eye Primer from Sephora and thought I would give it a try since I’m a huge fan of the Tarte Clean Slate Poreless 12-Hr Perfecting Primer for the face. I applied the thin creamy primer to my eyelids (of course I let it dry while I applied foundation to the rest of my face) and followed it with my base shadow (Bobbi Brown Eye Shadow Ivory). I could tell immediately we had a winner. It created a perfectly smooth canvas and my lids didn’t look puffy or heavy. I can also vouch that the “12 Hour” also didn’t disappoint. After a long rainy day my makeup looked pretty much the same as when I applied it.
Pure. Magic.Posted by janna Tags Eye Primer, Primer, Tarte